by Prof. Dr.Veljko Djurić Mišina

veljko misina djuricThe nature of my position of the Director of the Museum of Genocide Victims entails that I need to be fully aware of all the news concerning the core activities of this institution. This practically means that I need to follow television programs, newspapers and various internet portals for any news that are of interest and importance to the Museum of Genocide Victims. I have so far refrained from commenting on such news, as I thought it would signify stooping to a level well below the knowledge and proficiency I have at my disposal and would ultimately endanger the carefully nurtured reputation of the Museum.

The media system is such that it constantly seeks for the latest news, and news,even when it comes to the tragic events from the recent history of the Serbian people and the minorities living in the immediate vicinity. It’s as if the editors have this unbearable urge to constantly ask certain esteemed and esteemed people for their opinion and clarifications of the past events.

A few days ago, my attention was drawn to Tihomir Stanić’s interview entitled "If we had dealt with Jasenovac more seriously, there would have been no Srebrenica" (published inThe News, a Croatian weekly newspaper, on February 9, 2018, pp. 22-23). I do not want to comment on his whinging about how nobody understands his scenario concerning what happened in Jasenovac. I would only like to highlight this Stanić’s sentence: “If we had dealt with Jasenovac more seriously and in a timely manner, I believe Srebrenica and other war crimes of the 1990’s would never have happened.” Now, I suppose someone may object that I am taking one sentence out of the context. However, the context really is not that important to me on this occasion. What is important is that Mr. Stanić compared two events which are completely and utterly incomparable. I believe it would be futile from me to try and explain this, as Mr. Stanić and people of his ilk would never be able to understand my explanations. So, I will leave him, his interviewer and his claim alone for now.

Another news that left me in deep contemplation: About a year or two ago, published was a photo of a Serbian family’s tombstone covered with a notice from the Croatian authorities. The notice said that there were outstanding taxes to be paid for the said graves. Now, this is not too extraordinary. However, what reminded me of this news is its more horrific and grotesque version which reared its head in recent days.

Namely, the parents who lost their children – son Branko (born 1906) and daughter-in-law Danica (1907) – and grandchildren– Srdjan, Nemanja, Divna i Ljiljana – erected a small monument in a Serbian village graveyard. The monument was inscripted with cyrillic letters. For understandable reasons, the media that published the photo of the monument did not include the family name or the location. Maybe that is not so important right now. What is important is the text that was written on a piece of paper that was attached to the tombstone. I would rather not copy it here, but I would strongly recomment you to take a look by searching it on the Internet under “Croats are removing thetraces and witnesses of the Ustashi genocide”.

Lastly, let me explain the connection between Tihomir Stanić’s interview and the notice left by the Croatian authorities: the graveyard in Srebrenica was on a Serbian property, located in a Serbian municipality in Republika Srpska, and it has never been desecrated!

ПРАТИТЕ НАС!

Спољне везе

Spoljne_Veze  

Facebook